Autodesk 3ds Max 2020 is here! Focused on delivering you efficiency, performance, and stability that will speed up the content creation process. New feature updates for Revit, OSL and the Chamfer Modifier, provide more flexibility, better organization of scenes, and faster iteration times.
3ds Max 2020 updates
3ds Max 2020 performance improvements bring you faster playback speeds and a more responsive application.
• Viewport Framerate display (FPS) delivers a more accurate playback performance indicator
• Validity Intervals limits evaluation of unchanged curves and geometry for faster playback speeds
• SetNormals MaxScript function has been optimized to be up to 10 times faster
• Optimizations have been made when interacting with the viewport with multiple grouped objects
• Unwrap UVW flatten mapping is drastically faster when working multiple islands and consumers much less memory
• Auto Backup is more responsive to cancel requests from the ESC key
Create Animation Preview
The Create Animation Preview feature’s performance has been significantly improved and houses new functionalities.
Creation on local drive is now up to 3 times faster
• Allows AVI codec selection
• Unlimited capture resolution, based on render settings in lieu of viewport dimensions
• Various user experience improvements include:
Play when done and Quality settings is accessible from Preview UI
Default preview filename now matches the scene name by default
100% output resolution on by default and Default quality setting changed from 16 to 1
• MXS snippet can be executed per frame for custom strings
• Filename and MXS snippet values can be specified from MXS command line of Create Preview
• After executing the preview, the time slider is returned to the original starting frame
Chamfer Modifier Improvements
The new Chamfer Modifier updates make it more efficient and predictable for modeling.
• Fixed Weight Chamfer produces consistent fixed widths
• Weighted chamfering allows chamfer to be controlled on a per-edge basis with crease weights
• Save favorite or default setting with new presets
• Added Face Insert produce clean geometry and smoothing
• Control the Chamfer transition with End Bias
• Added Depth allows the profile of the chamfer to go from a depth of 1 (a sharp edge), to 0 (a straight edge), to -0.5 (an inverted curve)
OSL Shader Support
New OSL shaders have been added, allowing for more flexibility and customization in your rendering workflows.
• Automatically run pixel-perfect viewport shaders
• OSL shaders are now automatically converted to viewport shaders
• Quicksilver Hardware Renderer now supported
• Extended / Improved OSL Maps: Bitmap Lookup: Now supports UDIM textures, Composite: Now supports blending modes
• 14 new OSL Maps have been included. See full list here.
Revit Import Improvements
Various improvements allow for faster data import, and better organized and easier to manage scenes.
• Combine By options allows you to combine by material more selectively
• Filter dialogue now displays the number of nodes that will be created in the scene’s category or family type
• Import Revit 2017 – 2019 files without upgrading
• IES lights imported from Revit are converted more accurately
• Daylight System Update result in a better translation
Various enhancements have been made to Modeling workflows, Alembic support, IES lights and Civil View.
• Modeling: Copy + Pasted modifiers now retain their names, scripted booleans preserve materials
• Alembic: Playback controls, custom attributes on non-geometry (such as locators and dummies) are exported, Triangulation is improved on concave ngons
• IES Lights Light rendering is improved
• Civil View Textures are better rendered and represented in Arnold
• Plugins Over 270+ plugins are added by our 3rd party vendors the week of launch
3ds Max to Arnold (MaxToA)
MaxToA integration updates have been made to smooth out workflows with Arnold.
• Export Points can be exported as Arnold point primitives
• New PFlow Instancer node means PFlow instances will render faster in Arnold
• Distribution of the Python API, allowing users to edit, write, render .ass files, without relying on kick only
Bringing your ideas to life
Autodesk is committed to responding quickly to 3ds Max user feedback. That’s why this release includes many of which were submitted by the 3ds Max user community at 3dsmaxfeedback.autodesk.com.
3ds Max timeline with all releases since 2016: https://area.autodesk.com/3dsmax-timeline/
Update on 3rd party plug-ins for 3ds Max: https://area.autodesk.com/blogs/the-3ds-max-blog/3ds-max-2020-plugin-updates/